Repair & Service
From minor repairs to major refits, from new boat gremlins to new mysteries on older boats, Zimmerman Marine has the knowledge and skills to take care of your boat. We don’t rent slips, pump gas, or sell shoes – we repair boats and our entire organization is focused on providing excellent service. We assign a service coordinator to each boat, so that you have one point of contact. Your service coordinator keeps you informed about the status of your boat and the projected costs, and whenever possible we quote firm prices. Whether you own a 17 foot center console, or a 70 foot trawler doesn’t matter to us – it’s how you care for your boat that determines if Zimmerman Marine is the boatyard for you.
ZMI has a rich tradition of exceptional woodworking. As custom boat builders, our craftsmen are continually challenged to hone and expand their skills. These skill sets carry over into our repair and refit work. Whether building a custom entertainment center or replanking a traditional wooden boat, our woodworkers excel.
- Interior modifications
- Custom cabinetry
- Inca TV lifts
- Wooden boat structural repairs
- Teak deck repairs and installation
Our ABYC certified marine electricians expertly handle tasks from minor troubleshooting to complete system designs. Whether you have a center console fishing machine that has to keep the electronics going while you fish, or a cruising trawler that must be engineered so that you can live on the hook without needing the generator 24/7, we can help.
- High output charging systems
- Electrical system design and installation
- Solar panels, wind generators
- Generator installation and service
- Bonding systems, corrosion analysis
Fiberglass & Composites
Working with composites has become increasing complex. The ability to identify and work with a wide range of resins, core materials, and fabrics is essential to executing proper repairs. Our composites technicians have years of experience and stay current with online classes and onsite training with outside consultants.
- Cosmetic gelcoat repairs Bottom blister treatment
- Hull and deck core deck repairs and replacement
- Custom fabrications, including hard tops, helm consoles, extended swim platforms
- Vinylesters, epoxies, and conventional polyester layups
- Major hull repairs Transom extensions
ZMI has spent many years developing comprehensive inspection reports for our customers. These reports provide a blueprint for a maintenance and improvement program. With well over 100 points of inspection, these reports provide detailed descriptions of potential safety and reliability problems, along with an urgency rating for each finding. The Overview Assessment is a more general tool, providing a quick read on areas that warrant more detailed examination.
- AC/DC Electrical System Inspections
- Engine, shaft, drive train Inspections
- Systems Inspections
- Hull and Deck Structural Inspections Overview Assessments
ZMI services and installs a wide range of propulsion systems, including outboards, stern drives, jet drives, and inboard diesel engines. We specialize in alignments, vibration reduction, and engine sound mitigation. A smoother quieter boat is one that you will use and enjoy more.
- Engine maintenance and service Re-powering
- Engine alignment using laser Vibration analysis and correction
- Fuel systems design, fuel tank replacement, fuel polishing systems
- Sound reduction
- Onsite TIG and MIG welding, aluminum, stainless, bronze, and steel Repair & Service
Paint & Varnish
Whether brushing on a flawless coat of gloss varnish, or spray painting your hull with an AwlGrip® finish, we are methodical in our preparation work and obsessive about the quality of the finish.
ZMI services a wide range of sailboats, from day sailors to large cruising boats. We understand sailboat rigging and can handle all of your vessel's rigging needs.
- Mast stepping and un-stepping
- Rig tuning
- Furlers, manual and hydraulic
- In-boom and in-mast furling systems
- Rigging inspections
System installations usually require the services of multiple trades: the new auto-pilot requires fabrication of a fiberglass platform for the ram, the air conditioning system calls for some custom teak joinery for the ducts. At ZMI we have skilled personnel in house in all of these trades, making systems installations more efficient, with equal quality in all aspects of the work. Our ABYC certified technicians excel at troubleshooting, servicing, and installing marine systems.
- Integrated navigation electronics
- Marine air conditioning, diesel heating systems
- Bow and stern thrusters, stabilizers
- Fuel polishing systems
- Entertainment systems
- Haulouts up to 80 tons
- Inside storage up to 60'
- Outside storage
- Boat detailing